Thursday, March 10, 2011

LETTER: Dean: Let’s Be Honest, Open, Fair, Thrifty, Creative

To the Editor:
I would like to take this opportunity to share some of my thoughts and feelings about the village we love and call home.
As a village resident and local businessman for 34 years, I believe that I have a good sense of the economic health of Main Street and the village in general. As a supporter of Main Street and other local businesses, I have concerns about the economic future of the village. We do not live in a vacuum, and we may not always be an oasis in a tumultuous, changing world. We cannot save or hope our way into the future, but must plan our way forward. In short, we are going to have to work for our living. 
Planning our way forward starts with identifying and protecting the assets we have, building on them and working toward a sane and sustainable future based on the facts and wise investment and decision-making as we move ahead.
I support keeping the village police department under local control. I would also support some reduction of the force, if possible, to make that goal even more secure. I do not support the outsourcing of our local police department.
I support our Main Street businesses, the face of our community.  Main Street makes its living from the efforts of all of us. It is a symbiotic relationship, not a confrontational relationship. We are going to sink or swim together. 
We need our fellow Americans as tourists and visitors to help us support the safe, tranquil, healthy, life that we have almost taken for granted. We also owe our visitors a great value, a memorable, and a safe experience when they come to visit with us.
I support inviting more people to come join us in our great small town experience. I would invite them to bring their families, their hopes, dreams, creativity and businesses to help us all to grow and thrive. Young families are the future of Cooperstown.
We owe ourselves the future that we planned on enjoying for many years to come.
There are, and will be, issues that need ongoing attention for everyone to keep moving forward. I do not anticipate any difficulty in being honest, open, fair, thrifty, and creative in working through and resolving all upcoming issues without prejudice or personal agenda. I will explain my current positions on every matter clearly to anyone who asks in. I will invite opposing positions on any issue and I will support the position that is in the best interest of the village of Cooperstown. I will not have any predetermined outcomes that I will defend to the end. Life is a process, and I am only one of many voices. I do not expect to like everything that I may ultimately support but I will do so if it survives an honest discussion of the honest facts.
The Cooperstown quality of life is likely the major reason why most of us live here. I am, as many of you are, very concerned about the environmental, economic, and quality of life impacts that gas drilling would have on our community and our State. I believe that as New York State goes, so goes the village of Cooperstown.
I am very happy with all of my fellow candidates Ellen Tillapaugh, Jeff Katz and Dr. Walter Franck and I am asking that we all be given your careful consideration when you vote in the village elections on Tuesday March 15.  I respectfully ask for your support.  I will promise to earn your trust and confidence.  Please feel free to call me, on my cell, at 607-435-0255 with any questions or concerns.
The place is here, the time is now, and the decision is ours.
JAMES R. DEAN
Cooperstown

No comments:

Post a Comment